Friday, June 17, 2011

Iceland volcanoes might be back soon and strong

Well I am not sure that this is yet that dramatic, but it is beginning to look as though it might be, and so it is worth putting up a shot from the Icelandic Met Office about earthquakes in the Myrdalsjokull (Katla) region that I just noticed has happened in the last 24-hours, actually at about 5:30 pm local time, on the 17th. The stars denote an earthquake greater than 3 occurring, and there has been a growing focus of the earthquakes around the Katla site over the past four months, some of which I had noted earlier. These now appear stronger and even more focussed.

Earthquakes in the last 24 hours around the Mydralsjokull site (Icelandic Met Office )

While three quakes by themselves are not that extra-ordinary, they need to be put in place with the gradual focusing of quakes that has taken place over the past six months, which I have mentioned in the past. And they need also to be considered in light of the historic past when Katla erupted about a year and a half after Eyjafjallajokull, which you may remember erupted in April 2010. Katla has, in this context, been a much greater eruption.

Gradually, over the past months, the quakes about Katla have become more focused in just a few spots, and the current further focus suggests that magma might now be starting to create a site for an eruption. To illustrate how this has happened I will repeat showing the April and May quakes, together with those for the June to date, showing first the initial 10 days and then everything up until today.

UPDATE: There was another at 3.3 on Saturday morning at 8:18 am, but it was over at Langjokull which is some distance North-West of the region that my truncated maps show. And there are a significant number of small quakes happening around it.

Quakes around the region in April

Quakes in the same area in May

At this point I changed the colors, though thinking that the eruption was a few months away I didn’t take enough care with my initial choices of color. For the first 10 days of June

Quakes in the region in the first 10 days in June

Then I added in that luminous green the quakes up until today, and since I am not that efficient in adding stars I put in the larger quakes a 3, a 3.1 and the largest at 3.8 - which is in the middle of the green spot under the “a” of Myrdal.

Quakes in the Katla region in June – squares are 3.o and greater.

So it begins to look as though Katla is beginning to stir. This could get interesting, perhaps a little sooner than I had thought. It also appears that I might not be alone in thinking that this may be a sign that magma is moving in. (I took out the reference to the earlier eruption since I had it wrong)

12 comments:

  1. Actually it was Grimsvotn that had the effects you describe - the Laki eruption is believed to have been part of the Grimsvotn volcanic system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, that's what you get when I write a post after midnight. Thanks for the correction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Humans and cats have lived as companions for many centuries. They’ve been the subject of poems, movies, and poems. It’s clear why this is; cats believe they feel that they’re in charge.best web hosting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Media programmes have got suddenly grow to be hot property and so are vying regarding attention together.online fietsenwinkel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been searching for quite some time for information on this topic and no doubt your website saved my time and I got my desired information. Your post has been very helpful. Thanks.employment agencies

    ReplyDelete
  6. You publish is very exciting and high top quality of your material is the key to entice the customers to go to see the web page, that is what this website is offering.domain Name

    ReplyDelete
  7. I simply want to tell you that I am new to weblog and definitely liked this blog site. I have been meaning to write something like this on my website and you have given me an idea.Resort Injury Lawyer Key West

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Article it its really informative and innovative keep us posted with new updates. its was really valuable. thanks a lot.brown bow tie

    ReplyDelete